A brief history: In the 1400s, a shrine called
Harigane Shrine (Harigane Jinja) was moved from the site to
Shirayamadaira in order to make way for Inuyama Castle. The
castle was constructed in stages, the entire donjon was moved
to Inuyama from a different castle known as Kanayama Castle
in the early 1600s.
In 1616, Naruse Masanari, a retainer Matsudaira Tadayoshi,
was stationed at the castle. The castle has been in the Naruse
family until it was seized by the government after the "Meiji
Revolution". It suffered damage in an earthquake in 1891
and was returned to the Naruse family in 1895 under the singular
condition that they repair the damage to the castle and continue
to maintain it.